Sunday, August 28, 2005

VMAs: Doin' it for the shorties!

Fat Joe is now onstage and he introduces another "unprecedented and historic moment" (I wonder how many of those occurred today?) of three Latino rappers. I can't snark on the Latino rappers -- it's nice to see some variety and it's also cool to see a real variety -- light and dark skins, cornrows and afros, suits and different styles. Daddy Yankee smokes it up with Gasolina (which I'm dancing to as I type this). Big props MTV -- you introduced me to three rappers I'm interested in.

Missy cleans up the Best Rap Video for Lose Control. I continue to groove out and dance while I type.

Diddy's on with a "New Negro" shirt on. Pardon my ignorance, but what's a new negro? He talks about the changes made, and frankly I can't tell the difference. It seems like shitty ass music all the damn time. But I'm old and crochety. Some peeps in the nosebleed section are brought down to the floor.

Parrell's on now with some silly-ass multi-colored bling. He introduces Coldplay which does Speed of Sound. Smart move. If they did anything else, I think I'd have a nap. I heard Fix You recently while driving to work and nearly caused a traffic accident as I dozed off.

Chris Martin climbs into the cheap seats to perform. I've seen Bono perform. I know Bono and you sir are no Bono.

And more commercials as I go and ice my wrists.

3 comments:

K. said...

You know Bono?

Viv said...

Don't you? I mean, he comes over and hangs out all the time. *snerk*

Anonymous said...

The New Negro is a term coined by Howard University professor Alain Locke in an eponymous essay in the 1920's at the height of the Harlem Renaissance that stood for Black folks who were smashing psychological, social, and cultural barriers to becoming successful in this society. Google it.