Saturday, August 12, 2006

Stalking the wild Vin Diesel

It's Saturday -- the busiest day of Gen Con, and I've chosen to eat a leisurely breakfast, take a long shower and skip out of another session of Living Greyhawk (which is a large-scale D&D world that has a singular database that tracks characters, exp, etc.).

It's been a pretty good two days so far (as of this moment of quiet solitude where the only sounds right now are Ben's laptop playing music and my clattering on the keyboard).

I can sense him out there right now: Vin Diesel. The man who comes to Gen Con incognito to play games and get his nerd on.

You read right Sid: Vin. Diesel. A guy I know played a game with him one year in Indianapolis. He's apparently a pretty good player.

We're stationed in the Omni Hotel right now, which I've been pretty happy with overall. The king sized bed is big and plush, the breakfast buffet (a must since you eat maybe two times a day) is pretty good, service is nice and there's free wifi in your room. What could be better?

Overall, it's been a pretty good time. Busy with games and meeting people, killing stuff and taking their loot, which is always fun. There's also a dance tonight, which I plan on attending. It's either be one of three things: Really fun, boring and bad, or really fun in a bad train-wreck sort of way.

I have to say that I'm happy with Deadlands Reloaded. We played it yesterday and while I had reservations about the system, it's not bad. Basically it take the Original Flavored Deadlands and streamlines the system a bit. It's still a hell of a lot better than the D20 (aka D&D rules) system of Deadlands, which was hot. buttered. ass.

This year's True Dungeon I wasn't happy with -- too short for the $28.50 ticket and the puzzles weren't as good. There's a costume contest today, but I don't think that I'll be seeing that. Five bucks says that we're going to see a shitload of Star Wars characters, fantasy creations, women wearing as little as legally possible and pirates.

Oh, and the shopping. The sad thing is that there's not much this year except for collectible card games, which I don't like or get. I might buy a corset, but I'm still debating that one back and forth -- especially since I bought more art from the pirate guy, whose stuff I really like.

It also helps that he's a lot of fun to talk to -- about philosophy, religion and sex. We got into a conversation that ping-ponged around religion, politics, the Pope, Bill Clinton and double headed Gummi Worms, which look like a set of, well, cock and balls.

"You know," I remarked, "there's going to be a lot of girls disappointed that their boyfriends don't taste like cherry Gummi Worms."

I love the con. Where else can you find people who can talk as pervy as you do?

No comments: