Thursday, September 01, 2005

On looting, borrowing and finding shit

In the blogosphere, there's been rants circulating around about black people looting and white people "finding" stuff.

I'd just like to point out that if you look at the photos, they're from two different wire sources -- the Associated Press and AFP. Salon actually writes about this better than I could right now with a sleep-addled brain that's about to fly off to the East Coast tomorrow, so I encourage you to follow the link.

I don't disagree that there's latent racism in the media -- or in all of our lives. But right now, I'm not sure if this is the topic I want to use as my smoking gun. But I also think that Boston Globe correspondent Christina Pazzanese said it best when she said in a Poynter news forum, "Perhaps these photos will stimulate a media 'gut check' as we race to tell the stories of the thousands who lost their lives and livelihoods."

No comments: