Friday, September 09, 2005

Hey Coldplay! U2 called! They want their video back!

This morning, I saw the video for Coldplay's "anthem" Fix You and I just have to say that I didn't remember much because I passed out of boredom and after I wiped the drool off of my face, I had to get ready for work.

But apparently, I like pain, so I watched it after work. For some reason, it really seems like a rip-off of U2's Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (if I could find a video link, I'd attach it for comparison). Both have the lead singer walking/running throughout the streets of their hometown as they sing the first couple verses and choruses. It's almost like they're heading to their concerts to join the band. Once they get to the roaring middle eight (or in Coldplay's case, the dull squeak middle eight), the lead singers are with their band and in a performance space. Except in Coldplay's case, they're probably in Wembley Stadium and U2's in an empty opera house.

Criminy. First U2 steals the basis for Clocks for City of Blinding Lights and now Coldplay steals Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. Doesn't anyone have original ideas anymore? At least U2's song has a hell of a lot more power behind it than Fix You.

No comments: