Monday, August 08, 2005

Pondering podlings

With the birth of Rooster (as well as my two adorable nieces Jenna and Alexandra), as well as my growing up (but not necessarily maturing), I've been plagued with the thoughts of children. Not just being a doting aunt/pal/corrupter, but actually attempting my shot at parenthood.

Frankly, I can't think of an extraordinarily good reason for it -- I mean, the idea of keeping the world populated isn't the reason. With six billion people in the world, it's hard to believe that my contribution is a good thing for an overtaxed planet. I think Dan Savage put it best in his book, The Kid, when he refers to children as the final outbound adventure -- the last frontier for many people in terms of extreme adventuring.

That's the best reason I can think of for having a family. I'm curious. I'm curious to see what kind of havoc will occur (because knowing Jeff, me and our friends and family, havoc will be wreaked). I'm curious about the chaos -- both good and bad. I'm at peace with the idea that my life will change drastically. It might be good (the kids may become famous and rich and I'll have my retirement plan set up) or bad (drug addict, trixie or cognitively disabled). But that's the beauty of the gamble -- you never know what will happen. I think I'm ready for the gamble.

4 comments:

K. said...

That's a very Zen approach to parenting. Looking forward to the next chapter (and being a semi-auntie to your lil' adventure!) Yay!

Viv said...

I feel the need to add this again (lest people get the wrong picture): I'm not preggers. I'm not even close to it. It's just the number of wee ones in my life right now is causing me to think. I'm sitting at the cliff, getting the courage up to go diving off of it.

K. said...

Sorry if my enthusisasm gave the wrong impression. I'm just excited for your... readiness! Yay!

Viv said...

It's OK. I just remember what happened when I was talking about my sim *waves to Amanda* being preggers. I also didn't want people e-mailing Jeff and going, "WTF?"

So, to summarize: No, I'm not pregnant. I won't be for a bit.