Monday, August 08, 2005

Apparently a rich man can wind up in Heaven

I feel dirty. I just watched VH1's The Fabulous Life of... show. Normally it's the kind of thing that I like to watch because it offends my Midwest sensibilities and I enjoy screaming at the TV set:

"WHAT THE FUCK? YOU PAID HOW MUCH FOR A T-SHIRT? THAT SHIRT BETTER GIVE YOU HEAD LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"

Yep. That's the common refrain in the house when that show is on.

Anyways, this week's topic was based on religion and spirituality. Obviously a lot of it was focused on the hot cults -- I mean religions -- Kabbalah and Scientology (with crazy Tom Cruise and Madge as their figureheads). But I was still squicked out hardcore.

Why would someone need to spend $50,000 a week to go to a retreat or pilgrimage and live in a five star resort as they attempt to seek spiritual salvation? It just seems foreign to me. Why is there Kabbalah water (or energy drinks -- note to possible consumers: It's not spirituality that's making you perky -- it's the damn caffeine)? Is the path to being centered and finding peace really through consumption of goods? Does a diamond cross (probably with blood diamonds from Sierra Leone) really mean you'll get to Heaven before the poor schmuck down the street who attends church?

I mean, The Fabulous Life irritates me to no end because of the ridiculous amount of consumption that they document. Most of the time I'm amused as I get angry (much like Lewis Black), but this time, it just hit a raw nerve within me. Spiritual and material can live in the same place (hence totems, religious artifacts, etc.), but this is absolutely stupid.

This isn't to imply that the poor are more pious than others (because I know some poor assholes), but the mix of spiritual and money (that having money gets you better treatment with gurus, lamas, priests and other folk) is disturbing to me. Didn't Jesus kick out the temple vendors? How the hell did they get back in our houses of worship?

No comments: