Monday, August 01, 2005

Girl crushes are cool!

A lot of blogs talk about their crushes -- nerdy, hot, conventional and unconventional -- and I thought that I'd offer my input to this (since I am a navel-gazer). But I'm putting a twist on it. These are my girl crushes. Not sexual really (sorry all ya'lls seeking hot girl on girl action), but more of a deep respect or adoration for who they are or what they do. So without further ado, here's my top four (couldn't think of a fifth one):



Angelina Jolie. Not the Billy Bob, batshit insane, kissing my brother Angelina though. After she dumped Billy Bob (who is a great actor, don't get me wrong) and got Maddox, somehow I got more respect for her. Woman's crazy, don't get me wrong -- it's easy to picture her burning down someone's house if she's pissed at them. At least the person would know why though. But now there's a mama bear fierceness that I gotta give props to. It also helps that Maddox is, without a doubt, one of the cutest celeb kids I've seen with a fauxhawk. I also envy the Ethopian girl she adopted. Adopt me Angelina! Never mind the fact that I'm a year younger than you! I'll be a good girl!



Gina Torres. Ever since I saw her on Xena and Hercules, I wanted to grow up and be like her (or her characters). Seeing her as Zoe on Firefly also deepened the crush -- she's mastered deadpan humor and played excellently off of Alan Tudyk (who played her husband, Wash). She's also married to Laurence Fishburne -- who's not a bad looking specimen himself. If they have children, they're going to blind me with sheer chiseled beauty.



Ali Hewson, Bono's wife. Now this isn't because I love U2 -- nor do I wish to be married to the man (I've got my own husband that I would walk 5,000 miles for thankyouverymuch). I want to be her when I grow up. I want to be able to be as vocal about issues and take a strong stance by either making films (Black Wind, White Land), fair trade clothing lines (Edun) or traveling with her insane husband to Africa and South America -- all while she's holding down the fort with four kids and one overgrown teenager. Plus they've been married for 25 years. I don't know how she does it, but I'd love some insight.



Michelle Yeoh. She's the stunt queen goddess of Hong Kong action flicks. From Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to Supercop, Michelle kicks major ass. She's the only woman that Jackie Chan would allow to do stunts on his film (given his Neanderthal notion that girls shouldn't do stunts). She's also one of the few women my husband has a free pass with -- simply because I'll have the opportunity to meet the woman.

No comments: