Thursday, May 12, 2005

I've now learned something....

If U2's lyrics and songs are what I hope to become (goodness, spiritual, light and noble), then Garbage's Bleed Like Me is who I am (dirty, insecure, angry and angsty).

For my birthday, Keidra got me Garbage's new CD, Bleed Like Me, which I've been listening to on heavy rotation with U2 and Franz Ferdinand. Given the news that Franz Ferdinand is opening for U2 during their European leg and that Garbage was a former opener for U2, it's like a dream rock concert's been emanating from my computer lately.

Anyways, I believe that Garbage should've opened with U2 for this album, not Beautiful Garbage -- a pretty, euro-poppy album that has a couple good tracks but nothing like Bleed Like Me.

Bleed Like Me is harder, angrier and laced with a heavy guitar laden sound that's an effective underscore to Shirley Manson's ethereal singing. Some of the standout songs are "Why do you love me?" a song laced with masochism, insecurity and a touch of anger.

But my personal favorites are Metal Heart, which has a touch of electornica and Manson's lyrics echo my own mindset of wanting to be as good, nice and kind, but knowing the truth about yourself. Bleed Like Me is hypnotic and reminiscent of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side as Manson lists off a group of misfits who are all seeking ways to ease their own pains.

All in all, I'm pretty damn happy with this album. If you like angry, angsty stuff with a smidge of sultry singing and pouting, Bleed Like Me should make you happy too. Or as happy as you can get *evil grin.*

No comments: