Monday, May 16, 2005

Clone Wars: AKA, why the hell isn't Tartakovsky directing?

Thanks to Michael and Katie (aka Matie), I have now seen all of the episodes for the Clone Wars that aired on Cartoon Network. I think the most important thing that I learned was that Genndy Tartakovsky (he of Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack fame) should be doing the movies and not Lucas.

I wish that I could say I was a huge Star Wars geek -- if just for cred among my fellow nerds. It's just that the movies never really captured my interest in the same way that Lord of the Rings did (which blew my mind away and I can happily wile away hours on). I think that what tenuous love I had was killed with Episode Two for several well-documented reasons: Anakin and Amidala's love story (completely chemistry free!), shitty acting and shitty writing.

If someone can explain to me why they love this trilogy so much, please do. I'm just curious. I don't see the appeal anymore. The acting is mediocre at best, the direction is spotty and while the original trilogy had a nice Wagnerian epic feel to it, the prequels have blown much ass. Why the hell should I spend my money on this?

But the Clone Wars cartoons were pretty damn cool. It kept the spirit of the battle, thrilling action and both Mace Windu and Yoda kicked much ass. Unfortunately, Qui-Gon had a nose that was almost laughable in the cartoon. Let's just say that Cyrano had nothin' on Qui-Gon. My theory is that an animator REALLY hated Liam Neeson.

I suppose that if I had faith, Episode III would be that cool and exciting, but frankly, I don't have that faith. Lucas is writing and directing and frankly, the track record of the past two movies is more than enough for me to say "thanks, but no thanks."

I'll probably see it in the theater. Just not opening weekend. Maybe when I'm in Chicago or Keidra's up, we'll catch a cheapie showing. I'm just not willing to take time off to see this movie after I now know what a GOOD trilogy, with good acting and writing can be like.

No matter what, I can be comforted with the following thought: It can't be as bad as Matrix Revolutions.

1 comment:

K. said...

I haven't seen the second season, but I like what I've seen of Clone Wars.

I think the only reason a lot of people are spending money on it is for nostalgia and -- like I mentioned earlier -- a sense of closure. The Obi-Wan/Anakin lava pit scene has been something I've been waiting to see for over 20 years. I have to see it on the big screen even if it doesn't live up to my expectation.