Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Writing neurosis

For the past month or so, I've been working on a little story inspired by Sherlock Holmes. It's the first time that I can recall where I haven't given up after the 20th page and wandered off to do something else like make sure my kid isn't setting stuff on fire.

If you want to see it, it's over at my LJ. Yes, I have a livejournal account. Which I used to leave comments on other people's journals. Now it's being used for literary fanfic. I haven't put it here because I feel like that's separate from my little rants about my life.

Now I have a conundrum. I am very proud of this work (Hell, at 57 pages so far written, and more to go, I feel like I deserve a cookie). I also feel like maybe, just maybe, it could be published. Friends are saying it's good. Do I keep putting it on the livejournal for free then? If I got paid that would be awesome. If it was on paper so I could love it and give it to others like how crazy evangelicals hand out pamphlets, that would be awesome.

But is it wise to publish everything on the LJ? Even if it's in rough draft form? How does one get published? I think that part of me is torn -- I like this and I'm very happy to write it just for my amusement, but I believe it could be more than just a livejournal entry. But if the whole story is published online, why would a publisher print it? Would they even take a look at it online?

I need advice, and if people are willing to offer their thoughts, that would be great. Right now I'm not sure what to do and I feel like I've just put myself into something that could be good or it could be a disaster.

And this is on top of my usual writer neurosis. And they wonder why Updike hid from the world -- some days that looks like a tempting option for me. Then the narcissist exhibitionist takes over and I write some more. So yes, advice is welcome. I could use some, since I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

No comments: