Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Five words: Motherhood

And now the final word in the five word meme: Motherhood.

Motherhood's a hard word to write about because at times it feels like such a charged word. Maybe it's that I spend too much time reading parenting blogs, but I often see articles on people passing judgment one way or another on what mothers do, how they do it, what they should be doing instead and how your child will turn into an axe murderer if you don't do things the right way. And then there's the whole, "BACK IN MY DAY" rants which make no sense.

In other words, it seems like everyone and their fucking mother have something to say about parenting and motherhood, when really, we all need to calm the fuck down.

But here I go with my thoughts on the subject. I'm a huge fan of the "almost perfect" school of parenting. In other words, as long as there's no blood, concussions, injuries, fatalities and the house is still standing at the end of the day, it's pretty much a WIN. It's not how each minute goes -- it's the whole picture and the overall result. One bad day isn't going to destroy a child.

I sometimes feel like what I can say about parenting is too much, but at the same time quite contradictory in nature. Probably part of living so close to the subject -- or in it, as the case may be. But overall, the one theme that keeps coming up for me is love. Love in all its forms -- stormy, angry, quiet, sad, happy, belly-laughing inducing, etc. It hurts like hell sometimes from the joy and the pain that occurs.

I know some call it a job, but really, I am starting to think that it's about establishing relationships and building foundations with other people from the ground up. It's incredibly hard work at times, but it's also satisfying and fun. It's not something I'd recommend for everyone.

I can't say when I realized I wanted this and was ready for it. I just was. And I don't regret it one bit.

OK Erich. It's now your turn. My five words to you are:

Pants
Community
Music
Spirituality
Travel



No comments: