Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers' Day: What mom's really want...

I wish I was that cool.

Anyways, today was a decent Mother's Day. Got to sleep in late (which is always a treat -- sometimes better than sex) and go out to lunch with my friend Enich at Sushi Muramoto's. We were contemplating Crank 2, but well....I will confess that eating a lot of food and drinking two cocktails kind of put a dent in those plans.

As an aside: I know that Crank was terrible. I trust K.'s taste and the sex scene even squicked me out. But then I saw The Stranger's review of it, which was AMAZING. Seriously. Go read it. It made me want to see what kind of movie can elicit that kind of reaction out of a reviewer.

Admittedly, it was nice to get a few hours away from the house and away from my kid. While she's a lot of fun to go out with and very sweet, there's something to be said about having a meal in a civilized restaurant where you don't have to worry about food, utensils, dishes, water, napkins, tablecloths, straws, ice and other random objects being flung about. Or having to use the "Look. At. Me. Stop. Acting. Like. This. Food. Will. Be. Here. Soon." voice through gritted teeth.

It was also wild seeing families with their children all dressed up eating out. I think that someday, when BD is older, I can see taking her out for sushi. Just not today.

I think that sometimes when the stereotypical picture of Mother's Day is that the mother wants to be surrounded by the family. Honestly (and maybe this applies more to mothers of small children), my idea Mother's Day was to get some alone time. Let me mark this day by getting some time to myself where I don't have to scream, "NO! GET DOWN FROM THERE! DON'T MAKE ME COUNT TO FIVE!"

No comments: