Friday, June 06, 2008

Finetune Friday! Let's hear it for Dad!

It's that time of the month again (no, not my PMS bitchiness). Time to see what people cooked up for Finetune Friday!

This is my contribution: Songs in the Key of Dad.



My dad was a lot older than my friends' dads. He was in his 40's when I was born, so he was not just one generation removed, but two generations away from in in some cases. As a result, that kind of shows in this playlist, which is a musical tribute to him.

I remember that he had boxes and boxes of vinyl records that covered musicals, Lawrence Welk and other "old people" music. I also remember that at night, he'd head down to his little office area in the basement and listen to Chinese opera (which to the untrained ears, sounds like "a cat on a George Foreman Grill," according to Dan Savage). For the first nine years of my life, I never knew of popular music. I never knew rock. I knew musicals and that Chinese opera. As a result, that's had a big influence on my musical knowledge and my tastes.

I've got more to say about him, but that's for a different day.

Anyways, here's the other contributors to this month's Finetune Friday:

Christiana did "Daddy's Home"
Michelle contributed "PaDadPopOldMan;" and
K. brought out "Rock Pops".

Go check out their stuff. It should be pretty interesting to see the different takes of fatherhood.

No comments: