Monday, May 05, 2008

Not bad boys from Boston, not bad at all

Today New Kids on the Block put their first single, Summertime, on their Myspace page.

Obviously the insane 15-year-old in me went over to Myspace and has listened to the song 109,873,510,932,174,091,237,401,297,340,912,734,091,273 times. Fortunately, the 31-year-old had no objections to the single after listening to it.

It's a good, poppy, summer single that feels modern, but not in a midlife crisis sort of way (I'm looking at you New Edition. Why did you hook up with Diddy? Don't you know that Bad Boy is where musical acts go to die a slow death?).

It doesn't sound like Day 26. Given some of the fears that I had running in the back of my mind, this is a big plus.

The lyrics for some remind me of Grease's Summer Love and LFO's Summer Girls. It's sweet, but not in that "girl I love you forever" teenybopper way. The guys sound good too. The a cappella breakdown has some nice harmonies. Jordan's falsetto doesn't make me want to punt a puppy. Look, I know that Donnie's not the greatest singer in the world, but I can't help but grin when I hear his voice. Puberty. It's a hell of a drug.

Summertime isn't going to save the world, slap me upside the head and change my view of life or inspire a revolution. But it's a good, light, poppy song, which is needed nowadays since (lately) pop music SUCKS in my opinion. In short, I like Summertime. I won't throw rocks at it. If their new album has more singles like this, that bodes well in my mind.

Edited to add: My personal favorite review is this one from K. "It doesn't make me want to kill myself." Coming from her, that's high praise.

No comments: