Sunday, March 05, 2006

Still waiting for the head of Gil Cates....

Random observations from tonight's Oscars (too tired to think straight right now):

1. First off, I normally love Jon Stewart. But he seemed a little off tonight. Maybe it was the crowd, which was well...frigid at best. It was like Chris Rock last year -- Jon seemed defanged and not as sharp as he normally is. Maybe it's because he didn't want to offend. Maybe it's because he tried too hard to appeal to the middle of the road. I have a feeling we won't see him again.

2. WHO THE FUCK CUTS OFF A PERSON IN THE MIDDLE OF THEIR BEST PICTURE ACCEPTANCE SPEECH? I want the head of Gil Cates. Now. Fuck the time limit -- it's the motherfucking best picture -- you don't cut that person off. I don't care if they whip open the telephone book and go at it, you let them talk! If you want to cut it down, ditch some of the montages!

3. Is it wrong that I found the fact that "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" won for best song one of the highlights of the evening? Or the fact that they had the song along with interpretive dancers? Is it also wrong to find it very funny that Three 6 Mafia now have an Oscar, Eminem has an Oscar, but Martin Scorsese doesn't yet? And how sad is it that Three 6 Mafia had the most enthusiasm to be at the Oscars?

4. Glad Ang Lee won for best director. He's one of my favorites -- lyrical and excellent. When I read the story for Brokeback Mountain and realized he was directing, I knew they had a great team on their hands. I'm also not surprised about Crash winning best picture. I think I might have to rent it on DVD sometime.

5. Oh, and Hollywood -- you can beg me all you want to get my ass into a movie seat, but if I'm not in the mood, I'm not in the mood so suck it bitches.

6. Fashionwise -- WTF was up with Charlize's dress and the black satin origami swan on one shoulder? And WTF was up with the fake-and-bake tans? You know there's a problem with bronzer when Will Farrell and Steve Carrell look more natural than some of the actresses.

7. Reese Witherspoon -- knock it off with the accent. It was never as pronounced as tonight. Thank you.

2 comments:

K. said...

I dunno, I thought Jon Stewart was pretty good. He was relaxed and low-key, didn't try too hard to be funny, he just delivered in his usual deadpan way.

And Reese might be the kind of person whose"real" accent emerges when she's excited and/or times of stress,ya know. I liked her speech, it was very gracious.

Amanda said...

If you get the head of Gil Cates, save an ear for me.