Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Comics can be for chicks too!

I caught this great post about comic books on Katie's blog and also followed the link to the article about comic books stores and how they can become more approachable to women and right now all I can say about the article and Katie's post is a big, fat WORD to the whole thing.

I came into comics late. The only thing that I've really been hot on is Hellboy because the comic turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun to read. It's smart, sarcastic and well written with a lot of heart and enough paranormal stuff to creep me out and keep me hooked.

The problem is that I'd also like to try some other stuff and read other comics, but I never have any luck getting a good fix on what comics would work. The two times I've tried talking to people, I've had stilted, awkward conversations with clerks who didn't really know what to recommend to me.

I don't know if it's necessarily because I'm a chick, but it'd be nice to feel welcomed and get some good recommendations. I haven't been to the comic book store that Katie's been at, but I'm starting to think that if I want to branch out more, I may have to head over there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Capital City Comics on Monroe is your friend. Ideally you'll visit when the owner, Bruce, is in. He's the grey haired fellow and knows his stuff. He's recommended more than one excellent series to me based on other things I've liked. The other guy (whose name keeps slipping my mind) is quite good, but I've never asked him for a recommendation and can't say how good he is at recommending things.

Unknown said...

Way back when I a yute, I read comics, mostly Marvel stuff (I didn't explore the world outside of DC/Marvel until college). X-Men was my fav. The girls on the bus used to tease me about it. So I sat them down and explained the plot. Showed them the relationships among the characters.

Hooked.

From then on, I had to mulitple copies of comics monthly to resell to the girls on the bus. They wanted the comic, but were still intimidated about going to the store themselves (at that age, getting their parents to take them to the store).

Sid said...

ha, the only comics i really read were the sandman comics. which are amazing. but i fuckin' LOVE neil gaiman, so, you know, i'm biased.

K. said...

Yeah, I mentioned this on Katie's blog, but comic book dudes these days know jack about shojo manga, and that's the big money-maker for chicks and comics these days. Wanna get chicks into the comic book stores? Brush up on CLAMP.

QuietlyGoingMad said...

I admit that I read weird and twisted stuff mostly by Roman Dirge and Jhonen Vasquez. If you like the sick and bizarre, they're both damn good. And also Gaiman's stuff, but that should just be a given to all in the comic world (all should worship Neil). I have heard that Constantine is pretty good. The character is sharp, sarcastic, rude and everything that makes a non-hero like hero a...well, hero.