Monday, July 25, 2005

It's that time of the year....

when MTV announces its VMA nominees. I'm surprised. This year didn't actually suck. There's good nominees -- and I'm not just saying that because U2 got five nominations for Vertigo.

Anyways, here's my thoughts on the categories:

In video of the year, I'm thinking it's a toss-up between Coldplay and Green Day. Last year for Kanye's year and both Coldplay and Green Day had some of the more hotly anticipated albums of the year. Remember, it's not always about the actual merit of the video, but who had the hot song of the year.

If Usher wins for Best Male this year, I'm going to punch someone. The motherfucker won enough awards last year. John Legend, while the video's good, I don't think the guy's got enough popularity to win. It'll probably be 50-Cent, but Candy Shop is a shit video filled with cliches of jiggling asses and weak rapping.

Gwen Stefani will win Best Female award. Her album (and I do like it -- really!) has taken this year by storm and the other nominees don't look that good to me. I mean, Amerie and 1 Thing? Kelly Clarkson? Mariah Carey? It's Gwennie all the way.

Best Group Video is hard. While I'm rooting for my Irish boys, Green Day and The Killers also had good videos this year. When I say good, I mean that you couldn't escape it -- even if you tried. It'll be a toss-up between those three.

Best Rap Video -- Fuck if I know. The only one I'd be kinda cool with is Eminem, but that's just me. Probably because it has the least amount of jiggling ass.

Best R&B, Hip-hop and Dance? Again, fuck if I know. I'm rooting for Missy Elliott, but someone bland (and skinnier) will probably win.

Best Rock Video? It's a toss up for me. All those videos are pretty damn good in my book. But I'm happy with videos that don't always have jiggling asses and women licking their lips.

Best Pop Video? Best New Artist? MTV2 Award? I don't care. I don't know who those people are -- and if I do, none of their videos impressed me.

Breakthrough? Now here's a category I love. I've seen all the videos except Sarah McLachlan (and frankly, I could miss her video and not care). Tough call. They're all good. I want to say Vertigo, but I think Mosh might be more groundbreaking. But I won't be surprised (or sad)if U2 gets it because their album was one of the bigger ones this year.

Best choreography? Anyone but Jennifer Lopez please. Same thing for Best Direction and Best Editing.

Special effects? Anyone but Coldplay. Dramatic lighting is not special effects.

Art direction? No clue man. None of those videos made me go "OOOOHHH BABY!"

Best Cinematography? I wish it was U2 -- the angles in Vertigo and the grainy texture is pretty cool. But this is where I just don't know. I go with what I like.

Best soundtrack from a video game? Dance Dance Revolution Extreme for it's sheer volume. But it'll probably be one of the other ones.

Anyways, this is not certified by bookies. It's me talking out of my ass.

2 comments:

K. said...

Maybe I'm just an asshole, but all of these nominations look uniformly awful. Even the nominees I would kind of root for (The Bravery, John Legend, Kelly Clarkson --SHUT UP!) I don't like 'em that much. Was the year that bad for videos?

Viv said...

It's the same tired cliches over and over again -- jiggling asses, quick cuts, bling to the max, cars, etc. I think that breakthrough is my consistent favorite because it's the weirder videos.