Friday, September 24, 2004

Turn it up captain

When the local radio station here announced they were going to play U2's new single Vertigo over the lunch hour today, I thought I'd have to camp out in my car to hear it instead of eating.

Thank heavens for the Internet. I've now downloaded it and listened to it about a billion times today. Yes, I find it to be a great single, if you had to ask.

It starts with a great driving rock riff that's crunchier than Beautiful Day and some of the more sweeping songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind. The bass and drums keep everything flowing fast and fevered as Bono's singing gets more frantic and driving. This is a song that you can dance, leap around or drive fast with.

I also love the hell out of the lines, "All of this, all of this can be yours/Just give me what I want/And no one gets hurt."

It's a huge turnaround from the last album, All That You Can't Leave Behind. While it's a great album, ATYCLB is more meditative in theme. While Vertigo may not be as deep as Walk On or Beautiful Day, it's the kind of song that I dig the hell out of. Elevation was my favorite song on ATYCLB and I have a feeling that if the new album is like Vertigo, I'm going to be a happy camper.

It's official. I'm so going to their concert next year. Even if I have to go alone and camp out in a foreign city.

No comments: