Tuesday, July 06, 2004

It had to be him.

Over the Fourth of July weekend, Jeff and I celebrated five years of marriage -- a feat, especially if you think in terms of Jennifer Lopez (who, as far as I can tell, is still married to Mark Anthony. But I could be wrong in about two minutes).

Marriage is a funny thing. It's like family and friends -- you've chosen someone, for better or for worse and no matter what, you're committed to each other. I don't like the idea of serial monogamy. I made a deal with him -- we carry each other, care for each other and love each other the best way we know how. And neither side gives up. Simple as that. I signed a contract. I knew what I was getting into.

The funny thing is that doesn't give me an easy way out. Instead of running away or retreating, I'm committed to coming back, talking stuff out and figuring out how to do stuff. I don't want to leave. I'm committed to the storm, the aftermath and the calm afterwards. That doesn't mean that the fights stop -- they're part of married life, I figure.

Anyways, besides celebrating the disappearance of Amelia Earhart (we were out of town when that shit when down) and our marriage, we also saw Spiderman 2 -- which is one of the best movies this summer. In addition to being Tarantino's bitch, I'm also Rami's bitch. That movie had heart, action, humor and a great villain. One can make good action flicks, but they have to have heart. And a homage to the Evil Dead flicks doesn't hurt either.

Oh -- and in celebration of our five years (the traditional present being wood), I got a tree for our front yard! It'll replace the dead bush that currently is being taken over by weeds. I may actually get a green thumb this year.

No comments: