Thursday, December 08, 2005

But I feel so naked!

This morning, I forgot to put on my wedding ring after I was done with my morning preparations. I didn't realize it until I got to work and pulled off my gloves and noticed it wasn't on.

"Oh fuck," I thought. "I lost my wedding ring."

The only thing in its place was the mark where the wedding ring was. My hand looked weird. It looked like my ring finger had a waist from where the ring was. I felt weird. It was like I was missing something very important or something -- like a finger.

When people lose limbs, they talk about feeling like it's still there, when it's not, which is called the phantom limb phenomenon. After today, I can't help but wonder if there's such a thing as wedding ring phenomenon. You feel you have the ring on, but it's not on there.

I know that even if I don't have the ring, I'm still married, but I still felt weird. It's a little symbol, a material thing, but it's important to me simply because of all the memories invested into such a little thing. I can understand how these things become heirlooms. I don't need much and many times I can live without a lot of things and learn to adapt, but the wedding ring is one of the things that I can't imagine not having. Even if I lost this one, I'd probably slap another ring from a Cracker Jack box to feel that weight on my hand.

No comments: