Sunday, August 14, 2005

Sunday U2 sermons: Bono -- Hot or not?

My original plan was to write something about how U2 is incapable of writing a love song, but then I saw something on VH-1 about the 40 Hottest People over 40. Bono was on the list as #26 (for some reason, they decided that Demi Moore was #1, which makes me wonder what kind of publicist she has -- but that's another story).

Anyways, it got me wondering about the relative hotness of Bono. I've trolled fansites and gotten the general impression that most people find the guy fairly sexy. From his fuzzy chest to his blue eyes, women can't seem to stop cooing over the Irishman online.

I don't see it. Maybe it's because he's had some rather unfortunate hair decisions -- for example, the mullet with blond frosted tips from Live Aid -- and the fact that since Achtung Baby, he seems to be obsessed with wearing sunglasses all the damn time. I'm the type of girl who notices a guy's hair immediately and then the nose and eyes. If I can't see someone's eyes, it doesn't exactly inspire lust in me.

I also got thinking about the different eras of Bono. And I've come to the conclusion that much like the band's music, my favorite eras are the 90s Bono. For example, here's a picture from the 1970s of Bono:



Without a doubt, if you can get over the unfortunate spiky hedgehog hair thing, he's got a beautiful face. Wide eyed, intelligent and with a hint of mischief, I can see how he got away with murder as a kid.

But check out Bono during the Pop era:



There's something a little more harder and menacing, which is more interesting for me to look at. The latest version of Bono is a bit more cuddly than what I'd like. Kelly Eddington, cartoonist for @U2 (probably one of the best fansites out there), said it best when she said, "He could kick your ass! You didn't get Pop Mart, he *should* kick your ass!"

But I guess overall, would I call him sexy? Not really. It's like when I hear people talk about Sean Bean and Jude Law, and I just don't get it. Maybe this is another non-sexual crush I have (I have a lot of those, when I think about it). Bono (like the rest of the band), fascinates me more for what I've read about him, the activism, the music made and the extreme verbosity.

But if I had to pick one of the band members (oh the horror!), I'd have to say Edge, Pop era:



The facial hair, the slight balding that was counteracted with the attitude. The dude just looked great to me. Also, anyone who can rock the leatherman look in the Discotheque video earns props with me.

No comments: