Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Stealing memes left and right

I got this Meme from the very funny blog One Child Left Behind (really, for all the reading I do, I should just link the thing to mine), but I thought it'd be something great to do:

List five songs that you are currently digging - it doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're not any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions and the five songs (with artist) in your blog. Then tag five people to see what they're listening to.

I won't tag, but I hope some people take this sucker up because I love seeing what music people are listening to.

1. U2, Out of Control
Maybe it's because I'm morbid, but the lyrics about realizing that one has no control over when they're born or die really has been hitting home with me lately. It's a scary realization and you know you're an adult when you realize that someday you'll die, but you don't know when, how or where. Not to mention, this is U2's first single and it never fails to make me want to jump around and dance until the Reaper comes.

Monday morning
Eighteen years of dawning
I said how long
Said how long

It was one dull morning
I woke the world with bawling
I was so sad
They were so glad

I was of the feeling
It was out of control
I had the opinion it was
Out of control
Oh oh oh

One day I'll die
The choice will not be mine
Will it be too late
You can't fight fate


2. Arcade Fire, Wake Up
Another peppy song with morbid lyrics. I can't help it. I love the lyrics that focus on that strange moment when you realize you're an adult and there's nothing you can do. The beauty of this song is also that there's nostalgia for lost innocence. Everyone wants to grow up, but somewhere along the way, we lose something sweet and fun to become jaded and colder.

Somethin' filled up
my heart with nothin',
someone told me not to cry.

But now that I'm older,
my heart's colder,
and I can see that it's a lie.



3. Modest Mouse, Float On

On paper, it's another depressing song about running over a cop, getting scammed by a Jamaican and getting fired from your job. But again, like the other two, it's a peppy little diddy. Not to mention the entire message that "don't worry, just float on," is something that I tend to sing a lot at the top of my lungs in the car.

And we'll all float on alright
Already we'll all float on
Aliright don't worry even if things end up a bit to heavy
we'll all float on alright
Already we'll all float on
Alright already we'll all float on
Ok don't worry we'll all float on
Even if things get heavy we'll all float on
Alright already we'll all float on
Don't you worry we'll all float on
All float on


4. Dave Matthews Band, Dreamgirl
It may sound weird, but I've always thought that DMB could do a decent sexy song. Nothing about booties, dropping things like they're hot, riding ponies or other stupid stuff -- they tend to use clean words, but in a very sensual sort of way. DMB songs are the kind of thing that make me think of Jeff. This is the kind of love poem I can support.

Still you're my best friend
And after a good, good drunk
You and me wake up and make love after a deep sleep
Where I was Dreamin', I was Dreamin'
Dreamgirl, Dreamgirl, Dreamgirl, Dreamgirl


5. Kanye West, Golddigger
I can't help it. It's a harsh-ass song about women who chase after men with money and how when men make it big, they'll dump the women that brought them to the top for a newer, sleeker white girl. But Jamie Foxx does a decent job channeling Ray Charles with the hook and it's another harsh, dark song with fun beats.

Now I aint sayin you a gold digger you got needs
You dont want a dude to smoke but he can't buy weed
You got out to eat and he cant pay yall cant leave
There's dishes in the back, he gotta roll up his sleeves
But why yall washin watch him
He gone make it into a Benz out of that Datsun
He got that ambition baby look in his eyes
This week he moppin floorz next week it's the fries
So, stick by his side
I know his dude's ballin but yea thats nice
And they gone keep callin and tryin
But you stay right girl
But when you get on he leave yo ass for a white girl

No comments: