Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Coldplay called -- they want their video back

Editor's note: We apologize for the following. We have no idea how the fangirl escaped from her holding pen, but we couldn't get her back in the cage until she was allowed to post the following thoughts. And she was holding a watermelon smoothie hostage so we had to acquiesce to her demands. Next time, we'll get the tranquilizer gun out much faster to subdue her.

I just saw U2's new video for City Of Blinding Lights and I had the following observations:

1. Is it just me, or is this eerily similar to Coldplay's video for Clocks? Not being able to see people's faces, dramatic lighting and the concert setting were some of the similarities I instantly found. All that was missing was the slow-mo of a water bottle being tossed into the air.

2. Bono can't dance to save his life. I think those moves were ripped off from Vegas Elvis or Tom Jones.

3. I did like the live sound to the single and Bono's voice sounds richer in the video. But I can live without the female backing vocals, which are totally unnecessary in my opinion. It adds a touch of cheese to a chorus that to me is pure, unironic, naked joy.

4. What the hell is up with the pace and cutting of the video single? I know that the original running time of nearly five minutes may cause MTV and VH1 to shit themselves because they can't pack in more commercials, but the shortened bridge doesn't effectively build up to the climax and chorus. They did the same thing to Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own and that diluted the overall emotional impact of the song to me.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the video -- I mean, if I didn't I wouldn't have watched it four times in a row. Maybe the dramatic shadows and lighting is to keep the focus on the song, but if I wanted that, I'd listen to the CD. What happened to the visual appealing videos like Numb, Stay or The Sweetest Thing? I watch videos to see what some people's impressions are when they hear the song.

No comments: