Monday, May 09, 2005

Thoughts on U2, charity and foreign policy

WARNING: A lot of what I'm about to say is the result of talking with Jeff and Keidra about the concert and the entire fact that Bono can be Preachy McSoapbox (heh) about Africa. It might take a bit, but bear with me. If not, I recommend checking out the Darth Vader blog.

Anyways, during the concert, Bono did his usual bit about how we as Americans should be helping more with offering aid to Africa. We've seen the ads for the ONE Campaign, which is supposed to eradicate debt in Africa and other developing nations.

During the concert we were asked to add our name to the One declaration by text messaging our names with our cell phones. My effort didn't work. They also had booths for the One campaign where people could sign their names, e-mail addresses and donate a buck for a little white rubber band bracelet. I told the guy I'd give him the money, but I didn't want a bracelet (I'm totally with Sid on the rubber band bracelets).

On the way home, Keidra and I began discussing Bono's preaching and whether or not it actually made an impact on people. She argued that his celebrity status, while it draws attention to the cause, also turns these situations into photo-ops (if I don't have it quite accurate, sorry -- I'm paraphrasing from memory) that don't really amount to much in the long run.

I agree with Keidra on that. But the funny thing is that without Bono's preaching (which actually reads better than if you see in on TV or hear him talk), I don't think I would've thought about America's foreign policy and how it relates to the Third World. Yeah, it's good to help our fellow man, blah, blah blah -- but frankly, I'm seeing increasing our foreign aid (which apparently isn't that much) as a way of avoiding a headache in the future.

Think about it this way (and admittedly I'm taking a very simplistic view because I didn't major in foreign studies): By helping improve the quality of life in these nations, we reduce the change of terrorists and people who don't love America from creating havoc. The best example of this is Germany after World War I. The other countries beat the shit out of Germany and took all their money as a penalty. That created a socioeconomic situation of an over-inflated economy (because the dumbasses figured that the way to create more money was to print it) and a resulting depression that opened the door for Hitler to waltz in. We all know what happened there.

We've got the same situation in Africa and other countries now. If you've got nothing to lose -- and I mean NOTHING to lose -- and someone tells you that the afterlife will be better if you strike out against X, wouldn't you?

Yeah, there's the helping fellow mankind shit, blah, blah, blah, but frankly, I'm interested in covering my ass.

I'm not sure if I agree with the idea of retiring the third-world debt. I'm in favor of not charging interest or getting repaid in a small way, but we all need to learn how to pay off our debts. It makes us also appreciate what we've got and how we've got it.

The problem is that it's hard to explain this in a simple and clear manner for everyone. Mainstream media may not want to touch this because it doesn't fit neatly into a 1,000-word article or a 30-second soundbite. Not to mention, there's not really a hook. This is a problem that's been going on for decades, so it's hard to find the hook. Maybe that's why we see so much of this associated with Bono and U2 -- they're the hook.

Sadly, the thing is that an international issue is now ONLY associated with four Irish lads who make some great music. That's not how it should be done. I'd like to think that people at the concert sang along, danced, had a good time and thought about the message -- but frankly, I'm a cynical bastard. I figure they believe that learned and did everything by attending the concert and wearing a shitty rubber band bracelet (yeah, I'm a snarky fangirl). I don't think that's the case. I think that's the first step.

If you aren't cool with the whole One campaign (and I don't blame you for it -- activist celebs make my skin crawl), there's a whole lot of other ways to create action in small ways. There's donating to other charities such as Oxfam, being more aware about where our consumer dollars go and fuck, even annoying the piss out of our representatives.

Fuck, I'll even make a request right now. I don't need or want anything for my birthday -- I got it last Saturday and I'm still floating on a cloud of bliss. If you were thinking about presents, fuck that noise. Donate the cash elsewhere like Oxfam, Data or another charity that does global stuff in a smart way.

Think about it this way -- we're buying karma. And I know I need some good karma. I spent it all on the business class seats to China.

4 comments:

K. said...

but we all need to learn how to pay off our debts


But in the case of many developing, third world coutnries, pay off debts with what? The economy is hanging by a thread Much of Africa's future workforce has been wiped out by AIDS and civil unrest, or will be in a few years.

As for Bono being many people's sole exposure to the global AIDS pandemic and the third world debt -- that may be true, but it's also incredibly sad. That means that mainstream media is failing miserably in its job to inform us. If the only way these issues can be covered in the US press is through the participation of a rock star, it's gonna take more than a celebrity campaign to improve our global reputation.

For course, none of this is Bono's fault. I just wish he'd zip it during the show -- that preaching can bring a party down, ya know?

Actually thanks, this has given me fodder to work with for an upcoming Clamor issue.

Viv said...

I don't know how to pay it back. Maybe like a token sort of thing -- similar to a wheel of cheese and wine that one of those tiny European countires sends the other to pay for military.

It's not something we'd have to cash, but it's a sign that the countries we aid are also accountable for their actions.

I know that would make a lot of people I know get behind this plan a little more. In addition, if people addresses the practical and admittedly "what can this do for me" issues instead of going for the emotional appeal, that might help also.

Wow. Never thought Bono would make me think so much about international issues.

K. said...

But if the reason behind the debt in the developing world is due in large part to the the economic dominance of the countries in industrialized countries, why should it be made their responsibility?

Viv said...

Aaaaauuugggghhh! Dammit! Stop making sense! *grin*

You've got a good point there. I guess I'm taking the angle of how to make this entire thing more "sexy" and "hookworthy" for the average person. Emotional appeals don't do it. You've gotta appeal to their mercenary instincts and pragmatism.

Other that that, I got nothin' else to add right now. I've got a lot of stuff that I'm chewing on mentally now. Heh. I did see one coworker with a ONE bracelet today. Maybe it's the shorties that will be smarter about this. Maybe I'm jut nuts.