Monday, September 14, 2009

Five words will be back...

BUT I HAVE TO INTERRUPT TO SQUEE ABOUT THE U2 SHOW I SAW!

My friend Em, her friend Lindsay and I ventured down to see U2 open their American leg of the tour at Soldier Field. I will admit to being skeptical. We were up in the nosebleed seats and when I heard U2 claim it was going to be an "intimate" show, I was like, "Yeah. Right. Intimate among 60,000 people. Next thing you'll tell me is that the next album will be a return to Gaelic hip hop."

But they proved me wrong. It seems ostentatious, but the claw, with its 360 degree wraparound screen did make it possible for us to see the band. I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw how good our view was. I think the phrase I used was, "I think I just came," a few times. The other times I used, "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!"

It wasn't just a huge video screen. It did a great job convey different images and would also separate into stretch out, allowing for some beautiful abstract visuals for the songs. City of Blinding Lights was amazing as the Claw shot up a ray of light into the sky, piercing the clouds. I liked how with Unknown Caller, they took a wordy chorus and bridge and made it almost into a video game, where the words scrolled by, and every time Bono sang, the words lit up.

The visuals were also spot on for the songs. Seeing images of the recent election in Iran and the fall out for Sunday Bloody Sunday made the song's message feel more topical. The only thing that felt kind of weird to me was the Aung San Suu Kyi masks some fans wore and a group of people came onstage with them on. I'm not good with performance art, so I wasn't wild about it at all. It was weird seeing fans swilling beer and holding up those masks.

I can't say anything more about the concert, because really, it was just that much fun. It was amazing. It was fun. I danced my ass off. The remix of I'll Go Crazy (If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight) was a discotheque blast. I squeed. I met fans in mom jeans who first saw U2 at Roseland in 1987 for the Amnesty International tour. If they do a second leg, I'm there. Hopefully I can get on general admission and on the floor. But if I don't, the nosebleeds aren't terrible either.

Bono is right -- All you need is love. And a spaceship. This tour proved that.

No comments: