Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Five words: Pop culture

Continuing on a thread my friend gave me, here's the third word (or in this case -- WORDS. So this whole exercise should be six words, not five, but whatever. He's my dear friend and I'm willing to forgive him. THIS TIME.) he asked me to expound on: Pop Culture.

Ever since I was a kid, I've been interested on pop culture. So much so that I wanted to major in cultural studies (aka pop culture) for graduate school. It sounds pretentious, but pop culture, which can be considered trashy and terrible, is probably going to be considered art in the future. Well, not all of it. If I ever hear that Flavor of Love and its evil spawn end up in the Smithsonian, I may need to burn down a museum.

I love pop culture and art because they both reflect a place in time culturally. Not just the good, but the bad and even the ugly parts of us. I can't really sum it up more than that. That's simply the best thing I can say.

Now if you don't mind, I'm off to watch a Patrick Swayze retrospective, followed up by some Real Housewives insanity.

No comments: