Saturday, April 05, 2008

One advantage of regressing to 15 (the sequel)

About a week ago, I was ruminating on NKOTB lyrics (SHUT. UP.) and attempting, (unsuccessfully, I might add) to get to my whole point about pop music.

Well, this Friday, after a food poisoning session that ended with me puking early Friday morning (note to self: Do not drink Smirnoff Twisteds that are older than Benevolent Dictator. Alcohol goes bad --who knew?), I was laid up on the couch for a bit watching the NKOTB reunion on the Today Show as BD rooted through the laundry basket and wore my underwear as a hat.

Well, the inner 15-year-old took over like crazy and started surfing their official website and listening to the single "Click, Click, Click." Which isn't a terrible single at all, but the little editor/writer in me goes rabid at some of the lines.

"Playing with your makeup?" Who the hell plays with their makeup? That shit is expensive and really, making a mistake with your makeup takes a bit of cold cream/face washing to fix!

I think the line that drove me the most nuts the most was "I don't deserve you."

I was ranting to K. about it, who said it's a "well-worn cliche, but it makes the girls feel special."

To which, my response was: "No it's not! It's cliche! Maybe out of the right mouth it's pretty, but for me it reeks of cliche and co-dependency! I'd love a line like, 'I'm so lucky to know you,' or 'You've made me better.' Not 'I don't deserve you.' Hell. I'll even go for the "You make me want to be a better man."

I'm starting to think that people who love lines like that like the ending to The Time Traveler's Wife. Which wasn't a bad book, don't get me wrong, but the very end, the very, very end pissed me off.

SPOILER ALERT!
Look, to tell your wife that you'll see her again after your death, but not tell her when you'll see her just seems like an asshole move to me. It's not romantic, it's not sweet. It's jerking the girl around. She should be able to move on with her life and go on with her life. Either tell her everything, or don't tell her.

Admittedly, her pining for him and not marrying again and just waiting to see him pissed me off too. Life is meant to be lived dammit. Stop pining.

END SPOILER ALERT/RANT

But apparently that's what pop music is about sometimes -- cliches. Which is why I like most pop music in a foreign language -- I could tolerate a lot of this more easily if some pop songs were in Simlish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read The Time Traveler's Wife last summer, and really really liked it. But yeah....that was the one part that got to me. Really? "Yes, you will see me again." So...she sat around waiting for 50 some years? Wow....