Monday, September 18, 2006

Random thoughts on a Monday night

First thought: I wish I had a glass of wine right now. Maybe not. My head's buggin' me, so it might not be a good idea.

Second thought:
This weekend we saw the lady Terra off as she heads off to Mozambique for the Peace Corps. Good luck girl! And be careful (yes, I know I sound like a mom, I can't help it). I can't wait to hear the stories.

Third thought: For the past few days, I've been mulling over Keidra's post about Lonelygirl15, and really, for me it asks the question as to what's real with people and what isn't. In this day and age of blogging/livejournal/myspace/online identities, it's hard to get a fix on a person. We don't see all the things that make a person real like the burps, farts, petty anger, moments of kindness, self-centeredness, dorkiness and other things like that. We can present the image we want to present.

The funny thing is that for me, it feeds into some of my insecurities a bit more. At times, I'm scared to meet people whose blogs I read, and who read my blogs, because I don't know if I can live up to the "blog persona" that I've created via my writing.

I don't think that most of the people online are being fake in their posts. It's just a very controlled facet of the person. I don't think anyone can be so exhibitionistic enough as to be completely raw and honest online and not give a shit about what happens. Hell, we can't do that in our daily lives -- if we told everyone exactly what we thought of them at all times, I think there'd be a lot of smoking craters where friendships and relationships once stood.

No comments: