Thursday, August 31, 2006

Crank: Starring Jason Statham A 1992 Toyota Camry

Yesterday, while waiting at the drive through, I noticed the temperature gauge in my car go up slightly. Not into the red zone, mercifully, but fast enough for me to notice and be worried.

Now, I'm a professional at watching cars overheat and finding temporary solutions to it. Jeff's first car, Bessie, a 1989 Toyota Corolla was a master at overheating. When I had an internship in Chi-town and was looking for a place, we'd often make the three hour ride down to Chicago with the heat blasting and the windows open full tilt.

So I knew what to do. I ran the heat, opened the windows and sunroof and the gauge soon dipped into the normal zone.

However, I didn't know what was causing the problem, so I called the mechanic. The nice lady who works there guessed that the intake fan had broken down, making it impossible for my car to get cooling air from the outside while idling. The problem is that this week is booked up. The next available appointments were on Tuesday. Great. Five days without someone fixing my car.

Like Chev Chelios, my car cannot be idle for too long, or else it will overheat and die. So if you see a 1992 Camry blazing down the highway at an unsafe speed, that's me. I'm trying to keep my car from going down in a fiery mess.

No comments: