Monday, April 26, 2004

What Madison needs...

Loverly weekend in Chicago with Keidra and Raizel, which definitely perked my spirits up a bit (work has been weighing a bit too heavily on my mind) -- good friends, good food and good movies as well as the usual sore legs and feet from traipsing my way through the Lakeview neighborhood and the Lincoln Park Zoo. They're wonderful people and hostesses -- I'd bury bodies, spring people out of jail, lead armies to go to war for them in a heartbeat.

But as usual, when I was down there, I realized that there's one thing that Madison needs that it currently doesn't have. I don't know why they don't have it, but we should get it now.

Brew and View -- It's such a simple concept -- take some already run flicks and pair them with cheap alcohol and spacious seating. Why hasn't the Orpheum -- or another theater -- caught onto this yet? I saw Return of the King for the fourth time there and it was a blast. It's like MST3K with drunks! How can you go wrong?

On the way back I saw Madison activist Ben Masel on the Blue Line and the Van Galder. It was kind of funny because I expected him to be more, well, activisty instead of sitting quietly on the train reading some required material for some class. Admittedly, it made me wonder why he was in Madison and what he was doing. Maybe anti-Bush rabble rousing? Maybe visiting with friends? Who knows. It's always entertaining for me to see people who I recognize, but don't know me -- I like seeing those odd human moments. In this case -- instead of leading a protest to legalize marijuana, Masel's doing his homework. I suppose we all can't be political all the time.

No comments: